DRAMA METHODOLOGIES IN THE CLASSROOM:
TOWARDS A MORE FULLY HUMAN EDUCATION
DRAMA METHODOLOGIES IN THE CLASSROOM: TOWARDS A MORE FULLY HUMAN EDUCATION (DRAMA) course is aimed for education professionals who are going to start in theater as a methodology focused on employment skills both for the office and the classroom. It is especially suitable for teachers who work with students with all kind of levels but has an special impact in pupils with a risk of social exclusion, bullying and special educational needs at the educational levels of preschool, primary, secondary, vocational training and adult literacy. These techniques are effective to avoid early school leaving as well. The course will be taught in English by non-native people. The course is focused on the dynamic and practical contents of Soft Skills and Drama. Therefore, only a level B1 in English is expected from the participants.
Teachers need to have strong work ethic and excellent interpersonal skills together with the ability to solve conflicts, show a positive attitude and promote WELL-BEING as important PERSONALITY traits and career attributes at the school. Applied drama in the classroom, on the other hand, will help students to provide them with support to fight against poor academic performance and SCHOOL DROP-OFF, success in ENTREPRENEURSHIP and so in the labor market. Moreover, DRAMA course will provide schools with a new alternative methodology, more CREATIVITY in the education process and INNOVATION as well, often not developed through the traditional education system. That's why the use of Drama is incredibly useful to increase MOTIVATION in both teachers and students. In addition, it will favour the development of personality traits, social and communication abilities. All this by means of:
- Development of various skills: The ability to communicate will be significantly increased. Expressing yourself through actions, gestures, expressions and words will become easier and easier. Learning through a methodology based on the soft skills and on emotional intelligence enhances memory and the ability to improvise. In addition students will develop presentation and persuasiveness skills when they have to speak in public and perform under pressure, something really complicated today for many young people and adults.
- Situations applicable to real life: Through Drama we work in real contexts and situations which we have to face in our own work life and in our everyday life as well. Thanks to Drama techniques we will improve and enhance motivation and creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving skills as well as negotiation skills, all of them very useful in the resolution of conflicts.
- The control of the voice: Participants will learn how to use their own voice to ask, answer, predict, persuade, contemplate and express feelings, thoughts and beliefs. This is very useful for our own job. Besides, as teachers it is our responsibility to encourage our students to develop the necessary techniques and soft skills to communicate their ideas with confidence.
DRAMA course will work on the following aspects: postural hygiene, verbal and corporal language, teamwork, improvisation and emotion management, communication skills, self-knowledge and innovation and creativity.
The course is completely practical although it has its theoretical basis to understand the theatrical techniques and dynamics in relation to emotions and emotional intelligence. Participants will perform body and vocal warm-up activities, breathing techniques, dramatic games, experience the techniques and plan and teach their own lessons. At the end of the course, participants will work on an individual action plan that details how they will introduce the new techniques learned in their practices so as to promote the essential of drama and emotional intelligence abbilities required at school and daily life.
Our experienced trainer will support and stimulate the networking and cooperation among participants. We organize networking and cultural activities in order to give participants the opportunity to exchange best-practices and establish professional cooperation and links. These activities will take part not only participants of the course but also other participants from different courses attended by the company. The expected training activity has been structured so that the participants can transfer know-how and develop needed skills to create and manage a proposal with real success.
At the end of the course, there is an evaluation where participants can assess the course. The course will provide the participants an attendance certificate including the detailed information about the course, e.g. title, programme and schedule. In addition, a Europass Mobility Certificate can be added on request.
Thanks to DRAMA course students will get, through teachers:
- Develop drama techniques also applicable at work and in the classroom.
- Share and analyze methods of drama within the school context.
- To put into practice theater techniques for the development of verbal and corporal language for teaching and for communication at workplace in general.
- Understand the effect of drama techniques for social, emotional, physical, cognitive and moral development.
- Develop improvisation as a tool for problem solving.
- Encourage the team to work.
- Show innovative and creative techniques as effective tool for the teaching process and personal development tools for ourselves and our students.
- Use drama as a tool to involve, motivate and support students, develop soft skills within the teacher and transfer them to the students and school community as well.
- To become in better human being.
It exists a standard indicative daily program. However, the course might be personalized each week on participants’ needs and professional profiles.
The course’s managers usually welcome participants on Sunday evening and give them all the course material. The main activities, instruction and practices will take place from Monday to Friday. On another note, participants will be involved in networking activities of PMS ERASMUS PLUS during some of the afternoon hours, most likely Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. In this networking initiatives all the participants of the company courses during the same week will meet and network. Moreover, on Thursday all participants will be able to explain their own school and KA1 project to all participants and work together to set up future eTwinnings or even KA2 projects. After that, all of them will have the possibility to enjoy an optional activity to deepen in the searching of new partners, enjoying a great day full of motivating, gamification, creative, mindfulness and funny activities all together. Finally, there will be a course’ roundup and a final evaluation on Saturday. Diplomas, videos and photo souvenirs will be delivered this day.
Some of the topics to develop during the sessions of the course are:
• Get to know each other through drama games.
• Team Building through games.
• Introduction to creative activities.
• Effective communication through Drama techniques.
• Drama as a tool for social inclusion.
• Improvisation and creativity techniques.
• My body can also communicate.
• Use and care of the voice.
Moreover, some of the activities to run during the sessions of the course can be:
- Cultural activity: discovering the city and its cultural heritage.
- Sports or relaxing activity in order to stay together and create a team. Free activity included in course fee.
- Networking activity: Presentation of your own school and your KA1 PROJECT: 5W's. WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY with all participants from the course and other structured courses of the company.
- Networking activity: Guided session to find your best partner for a future JOB SHADOWING and/or KA229 PROJECT.
- Optional cultural activity: trip to Tabarca Island in Alicante with all participants from the course and other structured courses of the company. Boat and paella included in the price of the package.
- Optional lunch or dinner in the center of the city. Networking activity to deepen the relationship between all participants.
DRAMA attend courses in next dates:
DRAMA will attend courses during 2021 and 2022 in following dates:
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
- From Sunday 28th March to Saturday 3rd April.
- From Sunday 10th October to Saturday 16th.
ICELAND – REYKJAVÍK:
- From Sunday 25th July to Saturday 31st.
- From Sunday 22nd August to Saturday 28th.
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
- From Sunday 9th January to Saturday 15th.
- From Sunday 10th April to Saturday 16th.
- From Sunday 9th October to Saturday 15th.
ICELAND – REYKJAVÍK:
- From Sunday 24th July to Saturday 30th.
- From Sunday 22nd August to Saturday 28th.
IRELAND - DUBLIN:
- From Sunday 31st July to Saturday 6th August.
COST AND ERASMUS + FUNDING
The cost of the seven day course is 490€, including course fee, certification and support fee, cultural and sport activities in the city. You will also receive a certificate of attendance. The cost includes arrival on Sunday and departure on Saturday. The company offers an Optional cultural package to deepen in relationship between all participants.