IMPROVING YOUR ENGLISH. INTENSIVE COURSE FOR TEACHERS, EDUCATORS AND EDUCATIONAL STAFF: INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCED.
As per its title, this is an intensive course to improve, in general terms, your English level, and it aims to be a preparation course for B2 official examinations. Of course, one week is not enough to achieve such an ambitious goal, as B2 is quite a challenging level. However, our teachers will show you the path to get to it, giving you the necessary tools to prepare for the exam. Nowadays, there is a wide range of resources available on line to learn foreign languages; our mission as teachers will be to guide you to choose the most useful ones and take advantage of them to prepare for the exam.
During the course we will focus especially on developing oral skills, as these are often the hardest for most of the students, as well as very difficult to practice when we study individually at home. The heterogeneous groups formed by students of different ages, countries and specialties are the perfect environment to work on both oral competences: comprehension and production, and of course, fun is guaranteed!
Written competences will also be present in the course; we will provide the students with the most useful tips to develop their production skills and their comprehension competences, using authentic documents such as newspapers, magazines, brochures, etc.
Our aim is that you enjoy the experience, and you take advantage of sharing this course with other students from different countries, this is so enriching!
- Real learning : Students will have to face real communication situations, inside and outside the classroom. When the course takes place in English speaking countries, our priority will be to practice outdoors, with native speakers, in real situations of everyday life : supermarkets, Post office, Train station…
- Functional and pragmatic : We will not focus on learning rules and grammar practice. This is of course necessary but… you can do this at home!! We will practice with games and many different types of activities and resources, taking advantage also of your experience as teachers.
- We will focus on oral skills : individually, in pairs, in small groups…. The objective is communication. We will practice with native speakers and also other resources such as TV, radio podcasts, etc. We will practice with examples of exams so that you know what you can expect the day of the exam.
B2 COMPETENCES – EUROPEAN FRAMEWORK OF REFERENCE OF LANGUAGE
B2 level corresponds to independent users of the language, and therefore, our main objective will be to help you to become independent users. The description of the competencies according to the European Framework of Reference of Languages is the following :
1. Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
2. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
3. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Considering that the course takes place in English speaking countries, the main objectives of the course are the following:
• To develop self – confidence when using the foreign language.
• To improve fluency, phonetics and accent.
• To develop strategies to communicate in real life situations.
More specifically, the objectives can be defined as follows :
- To be able to keep up with an animated conversation between native speakers.
- To cope linguistically to negotiate a solution to a dispute.
- To interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction, and sustained relationships with native speakers without imposing strain on either party.
- To be able to use the language fluently, accurately and effectively.
- To be able to interact using standard spoken language even in a noisy environment.
- To engage in extended conversation on most general topics in a clearly participatory fashion, even in a noisy environment.
- To keep up with an animated discussion, identifying accurately arguments supporting and opposing points of view.
- To follow detailed instructions reliably.
- To understand standard spoken language, on both familiar and unfamiliar topics.
-To understand recordings in standard dialect likely to be encountered in social, professional or academic life and identify speaker viewpoints and attitudes as well as the information content.
- To understand most radio documentaries and most other recorded or broadcast audio material delivered in standard dialect and to identify the speaker's mood, tone etc. and identify most TV news and current affairs programmes, documentaries, live interviews, talk shows, plays and the majority of films in standard dialect.
- To be able to read with a large degree of independence, adapting style and speed of reading to different texts and purposes and using appropriate reference sources selectively.
- To be able to scan quickly through long and complex texts, locating relevant details.
- To summarise the plot and sequence of events in a text or film.
- To be able to write with a large degree of independence, adapting style and speed of reading and writing to different texts and purposes, and using appropriate reference sources selectively.
- To summarise the plot and sequence of events in a film or play.
It exists a standard indicative daily programme. However, the course can be personalized each week depending on participants needs and professional profiles.
The course’s managers usually welcome participants on Sunday evening and give them all the course material. The main activities, instruction and practices will take place from Monday to Friday. On another note, participants will be involved in networking activities run by PMS ERASMUS PLUS during afternoon time, most likely on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. In these networking initiatives all the participants of the company courses during the same week will meet and network. Moreover, on Thursday all participants will be able to explain their own school and KA1 project to all participants and work all together to set up future eTwinnings or even KA2 projects. After that, all of them will have the possibility to enjoy with an optional activity to deepen in the searching of new partners, enjoying a great day full of motivating, gamification, creative, mindfulness and funny activities all together. Finally, there will be a course’ roundup and a final evaluation on Saturday. Diplomas, videos and photo souvenir will be delivered this day.
Moreover, the students will have the opportunity to learn how to create a blog, working on the design and elaborate and organize the contents and management in order to show what they will learn during their academic course. Finally, in the last day, the students could have a test about knowing the English level they have acquired.
ACTIVITIES SCHEDULED :
Meeting and greeting.
Individual orientation and information about the venue and the city.
Reception of all course material.
Working with news. Relevant vocabulary and pronunciation.
Practice : Use of English.
Group activities to review the main concepts in an enjoyable way.
Afternoon cinema. The group will have the opportunity to watch a movie in a local cinema.
Cinema discussion. Oral and speaking activities about cinema.
Local Gymkhana. Outdoor activity through the city and interacting with local people getting different tasks.
Final task presentation. Students present the projects.
Time for discussing dissemination strategies.
Presentation of participants’ works.
Releasing of official course certifications.
COMPLEMENTARY ACTIVITIES :
- Free cultural activities: Discovering the city and its cultural heritage. You will visit the city and in a second day the best museum of the city in a guided tour included in course fees.
- Networking activity: Presentation of your own school and your KA1 PROJECT: 5W's. WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY with all participants from the course and other structured courses of the company.
- Networking activity: Guided session to find your best partner for a future JOB SHADOWING and/or KA229 PROJECT.
- Optional Cultural package: it depends of the city where the course is running, PMS ERASMUS PLUS will offer an optional package just to encourage networking and to know much more about cultural and historical from the country where you stay.
- Optional lunch or dinner, it depends on the city. Networking activity to deepen the relationship between all participants.
ENGLISH course will attend sessions during 2020 and 2021 in next dates:
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
From Sunday 11th October to Saturday 17th.
IRELAND – DUBLIN:
From Sunday 9th August to Saturday 15th.
UNITED KINGDOM – LONDON:
From Sunday 25th October to Saturday 31st.
SPAIN – TENERIFE:
From Sunday 23rd August to Saturday 29th.
FINLAND – HELSINKI:
From Sunday 20th September to Saturday 26th.
FINLAND – ROVANIEMI:
From Sunday 29th November to Saturday 5th December.
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
From Sunday 24th January to Saturday 31st.
From Sunday 28th March to Saturday 3rd April.
From Sunday 11th July to Saturday 17th.
From Sunday 10th October to Saturday 16th.
FINLAND – HELSINKI:
From Sunday 14th March to Saturday 20th.
From Sunday 15th August to Saturday 21st.
SPAIN – CANARY ISLANDS (TENERIFE):
From Sunday 4th April to Saturday 10th.
ICELAND – REYKJAVÍK:
From Sunday 11th April to Saturday 17th.
From Sunday 25th July to Saturday 31st.
From Sunday 22nd August to Saturday 28th.
From Sunday 17th October to Saturday 23rd.
IRELAND - DUBLIN:
From Sunday 1st August to Saturday 7th.
FINLAND – ROVANIEMI:
From Sunday 28th November to Saturday 4th December
FOR 2022 DATES AND PLACES INFORMATION VISIT SCHOOL EDUCATION GATEWAY WEBSITE.
COSTS AND ERASMUS FUNDING
The cost of the seven day course is 490€, including course fee, certification and support fee, cultural and sport activities in the city. You will also receive a certificate of attendance. The cost includes arrival on Sunday and departure on Saturday. The company offers an Optional cultural package to deepen in relationship between all participants.
The training course is tailored to be fully funded by Erasmus + to teachers, trainers, headmasters and any other staff of education organizations. Furthermore trainers can help in Key Action 1 Application to ensure that participants can get the grant and could be eligible to receive an Erasmus + grant that cover all the costs of the course.